Originally Posted By: tweetymom
I'm not exactly sure of what I do to stay grounded, but I do know that "ranting" or Venting", even though it is said by some that it is good for you, to blow off steam, does not make me feel better. It makes me not feel good about myself, because while venting, you say things that you possibly don't mean, you might say mean things to someone that you can't take back.

IMO, the spoken word is a powerful thing. I believe that once you say a thing out loud, it puts it out in the universe. That may cause reverbrations (?) (not sure if this is the right word) like for every action there is a re-action, to put it simply. And if this is someone you care about, they might forgive you but probably never forget it!

I agree with you completely, you put that so well! Yes the word is reverberations, that is an awesome mental image. Yes, I feel you are so right. If you yell and spew anger, then the people you are spewing at feel anger, so then they react with anger and defensiveness, and it just builds. It doesn't help anything.

It is really amazing, in talking with people, just how powerful words really are, especially ones spoken in anger. A friend of mine's husband was told - at age 6 by his father - that he was a F up and everything he touched turned to trash. This was probably a one time drunken statement by the father! Now the son is 40-ish and he STILL remembers that statement, how much it hurt, how it shaped his life. Can you imagine, that one short statement, spoken once, could have such an awesome (scary) lasting impact?

It really makes you think about the things you say.

Lisa Shea, Owner