I like this a great deal and am thinking it though:
Quote:
Instead of the emotional trauma of having to go up to one person with hat and hand and say "Oh please kind sir can I please have help with X?" - I would instead say that you set as a goal that you find a solution for X. Then in normal conversation with people you say, "By the way, I am brainstorming ways to handle X. I need some help with it. What do you think?" You never know which random person will have the PERFECT solution for you. Maybe your neighbor knows someone at the propane company! You never know until you talk.

That way you get your needs met, and you are making your needs known - but in a way that feels positive to you, rather than in a way that makes you feel helpless and needy.

It's very true. I would feel like I was putting people on the spot if I just came out and asked for something. And it IS putting people in a bad position if they are really busy or not interested or something. So I like the idea of sharing the info, but not in a pathetic poor-me way. I will have to think on this some more.

And yes, habits do take a while to get automatic, but that's where we put forth the effort to remember.

I like Tweetymom's ideas of posting smart mental reminders!