I think grief counseling is a really good idea. There is nothing wrong with how you feel, but you should not be dwelling on the sorrow to the point that it interferes with living. I am sorry for your pain and loss.

I think avoiding sad things is a normal coping mechanism. Eventually you won't have to do that, but it does help right now.

I have been managing stress by reaching out to friends (mostly via IM on email or Facebook), going for walks and hikes, taking photos of nature, reading something recreational, doing yoga and taking naps when I need to.

What seems to work for you?

Originally Posted By: tweetymom
As far as relieving stress, since my Merlin passed, I have not gotten back to any routine. Really I sort of (sometimes) flail about, not having a plan or whatever! I'm trying to get a handle on that but I forget to think of it a lot of the time. I'm not so pitiful any more so much. But I still have my times of stressing out over the fact that he is gone and will not be back! LOL. I'm being light here because I hate sinking into that abyss. I avoid all things sad now, generally. Sometimes when I start thinking about it or see something sad on TV, I just have to jump up (literally) and say to myself " No no no I'm NOT going to do this"!

So I'm considering getting some grief counseling soon. I guess that would be in the category of relieving stress. Or managing it.

What is your method of stress management?