RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
[font:comic sans ms]One of my friend keep telling me this. I really want to comfort her and cheer her up. I'm not even sure how or what to say/do to help her through this. Any advice?[/font]

When she MSN me about the news:
" as you may know, I'm officially engaged.
well.. This all went down on Sunday, and today, I decided to tell my family. (something.. I've been avoiding)

I told my brothers (we are triplets) they said: Jamie. thats stupid.. big mistake. your only 18..
HELLO! one of my brothers is getting MARRIED this summer.
I don't want to hear that [censored]..

then I grew a pair.. and told my step-dad:
he said..
"Wow. I've never been more dissapointed in you in my life. You've hit a new low sweetheart"

sweet stuff."

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Well, I think that it's sad that her family were critical, without offering advice.

I think that 18 is a bit young to be thinking of marriage, but it can work out.

I would suggest, if I were her mother, that she holds off as far as an official engagement is concerned, for a while longer ~ maybe until 21, because even that is young ~ and see if she feels the same way then.

You know what they say ~ marry in haste, repent at leisure. Your friend is young, there is plenty of time to settle down a little later.

However, if she is determined to marry, then the best everyone can do is to give her support and make her big day special and memorable ~ in the best possible way.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
[font:comic sans ms]She has a child who is 4 years old. Maybe her boyfriend can help watch her girl and raise a family?[/font]

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Maybe.
And if he is happy to accept her child, then this is a positive thing.

I still think that 18 is rather young, but I think that supportive advice, rather than negative criticism, is the best way to go.

A
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
Aruba's-mom
Unregistered
A
If her family is that critical of her, she may be getting married to escape an unhappy home life. She may also be looking for a daddy for her child or feel that because she already has a child, few guys are going to want to saddle themselves with a pre made family. Sounds like a lot of reasons to rush into marriage.

She should spend some time really thinking about all of that and as her supportive friend, not critical like her family, you should talk to her about just being sure she wants to marry because she truly loves this guy and not to escape home or simply to secure a family for her child.

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Good points, Aruba's-mom!

F
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
Aruba's-mom, I also think you made some very good points.

I would add, that unless there are urgent reasons to marry soon, she and her fiance should consider taking it slow. If a couple has the kind of relationship that will build a good marriage, there is no need to rush, because neither of them is going to leave.

And if there is danger that one of them will walk out on the other one if they don't hurry up and marry, then a marriage certificate is no guarantee that they won't split soon anyhow.

I'm curious about the family's reaction that she is too young, when her same-age brother is getting married even sooner. Do they mean that, or is there a chance that they just think she's chosen the wrong kind of man but they don't want to say so straight out?

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yes, Faith, I hadn't picked up on that.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site