Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I love my house cleaners! I know that all i really need is vinegar and water, and baking soda...but i can't resist buying all kinds of special cleansers and scrubbie tools.

What do you buy and what can't you live without?

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I make my own cleaning spray cleaner. 1/3 ammonia, 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 water. It is great for anything you want to clean. The only thing is I can't use it in the keets area.

I also love simple green.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
That sounds nice, BLR! It never occurred to me to add Rubbing Alcohol to a mixture. I will have to experiment with that. Does that add a degreasing element?

Baking soda works great as a gentle scrubbing element.

What do you use around your keets?

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Simple green is my degreaser. The Alcohol makes it dry quickly.

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
for their cage, etc. I just use hot water and a scrub brush. The most used solvent in the world.

Best Friend
Best Friend
At work I use Greased Lightning and Clorox cleanup and Mr, Clean, mostly, and VERY hot water. They are really heavy duty and clean fast. I rinse with a LOT of water. Really, rinsing with a LOT of water is the key to getting something really clean. The less scrubbing, the better in my job. But I also use dishwashing liquid any time I can, so I won't be breathing fumes so much. Dishwashing liquid works the best on refigerators. IMHO. Greased Lightning works better and faster than any "oven cleaner". Clorox cleanup cleans the bathrooms fast and disinfects with a minimum amount of scrubbing. If all else fails, I use Comet or Ajax for the tub. I use a steam cleaner for the floors. It sanitises with the heat and cleans really fast.

For my home I use the steam cleaner on the floors, without cleaner, because my animals walk on the floors and lick their feet. I close the door and use the Clorox Cleanup in the bathroom tub, toilet and sink. That way, no fumes get to the birdies. I open the window and let it air out a long time, and again, the steam cleaner on the floor with no cleaner.

For the cages, I use a green scrubber and ACV, in the bathtub.
Alcohol is good to use on the food dishes and toys, with a good rinse after.

I recently read that they have a "Steam Cleaner" for things besides floors. Tubs, sinks, anything really. I'm going to check into this when I have time. I think that would be worth using. You do not use cleaners, because the hot steam cleans and disinfects!

Last edited by tweetymom; 12/12/09 07:44 AM.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I really like the new Multi-surface Pledge. I have the lavender one in the for the bathroom and bedroom, and the Rainshower scented one for my kitchen and office. Works on metal, wood, glass and electronics.

I know I could just use my vinegar mix, but i really do love this cleanser. I like how the bottle feels, how they smell, and how they clean things off with so little effort. Just a little luxury for me.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I want to second the idea of steam cleaners on carpets. It is just amazing how much dirt they suck out of the carpet that vacuum cleaners don't bring up. We take off our shoes at the door, so we're walking around in bare feet (or socked feet) all day. Even so, the carpets somehow get very grimy. It's just amazing. So it's important to me to steam clean them fairly regularly.

All our floors are carpeted except our kitchen and bathrooms.

Lisa Shea, Owner
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I don't use aerosols ~ bad for my allergies & generally unhealthy I'm guessing.

I do use a steam cleaner on my carpet.

I also have a 'animal' vacuuum cleaner with allergy control.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I hate carpet. Hate it. I am always ripping it up. When I am stuck with carpet I always get steam cleaners - love getting all that filthy water sucked out!

Last edited by jilly; 12/17/09 03:23 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site