Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
It is really stressful to live all cold, for long periods of time, in the winter. What do people do to keep warm in their homes, whatever kinds of home they be?

We just had our propane heater fixed and we hope this time it sticks. What a blessed thing to have on demand heat!

In Edwardian times people used large tapetries over doorways and windows, and around their bed posts as bed curtains. They also had warming pans to slide under their sheets...and I guess warming potatoes and rocks would work for the poorer classes.

That does sound all pretty cozy.

I think all the servants would sleep in the common room by a series of blazing fires, except for the few servants that slept beside their masters in nearby cots.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I also use my chihuahua for heat when I sleep. i know that sounds incidental, but recall that small dogs were bred over the centuries to be lady companions, and to help ladies stay warm under their house robes and in their beds.

Frodo curls right up against my lower back and doesn't budge all night. He is the the most awesome space heater - lots of BTUs for such a small creature.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
LOL that is so cool that your pets are keeping you warm! Yes definitely Hammie sleeps in my bed with me and keeps me warm all night long.

I think people have dealt with far more cold than we have now. Think about the Eskimos and people in Siberia and so on. They would be very jealous of the modern conveniences we have.

But that being said, different bodies are naturally meant to handle different levels of heat. The Eskimo people have bodies which can tolerate heat much better than a typical Nigerian person does. So some of that is about biology.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
True about people in other climates. I think in a very cold climate people spend a lot of time and attention to protecting their bodies when they go out, and conserving heat indoors.

In our temperate climates we get a bit lazy, i think. smile

I am trying to pay more attention to everything that involves saving money and decreasing stress. Being warm this winter will involve spending money (ie - propane and electric from the blower), so i want to save as much money as possible. And I HAVE to be warm to be peaceful. I get cold really quickly and stay cold.

So I am thinking about exploring easy solutions that people have used through millenia. I don't have a fireplace or woodstove in here, so that is not an option.

How do different people's houses fare in the winter? Do people deal with drafts, make a lot of fires, cover up all your windows with plastic or heavy drapes, keep the heat turned up high, or just wear sweaters and hats indoors?

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
We've added placing towels under doors to the outside to our efforts to keep warm inside. I know they make little stuffed snakey pillows for that, but the towels seem to work fine and are free.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Definitely thick curtains and "snakes" for all cracks is key. Plastic the windows. Seal up everything. My friend in Alaska lined all her walls with books to provide natural insulation. Rugs for the floor. Heavy blankets for the bed, throw blankets for the couch. Thick sweaters smile

When you look at English dramas they are often wearing 8 layers of clothes, to stay warm. That way you can add and remove layers as the room warms and cools.

Drink hot tea smile I'm doing that now!

Lisa Shea, Owner
L
L
All the suggestions above are great! I also think some things add to a cozy, warm feeling like burning candles, and deep rich colors. Painting a room can really change your perception of warmth even. I painted my Mom's living room for her this last year... it sounds weird but it's painted a orangish/beige color and her home seems SOOOO much more cozy and inviting than the white.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I love the idea of using books as insulation. Now THAT is mult-iuse - and attractive!

Linder, the warm color does sound a lot more cozy than white. I tend to think of white as a cool tone.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Linder - that's an awesome idea! Definitely paint can be cheap and can make a big difference in how you feel about a room.

Yes you can get cheap shelves and line the walls with them, and fill them in with books smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I have already lined a wall with books at your advice. dan thinks it's brilliant.

As i sell them on amazon, our insulation will go away, though, LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site