Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I am trying to practice mindfulness in my life, but it's tough when I constantly keep myself occupied with so many projects and interests. The days fly by and i only get any real alone time in the bathtub and on walks.

So I have been trying to meditate each day for five minutes. I know that is a short time, but it's a good start for me. I don't think I could really sit there still with empty thoughts for an hour or even half hour at this time. So for me, five minutes is a triumph.

I asked DH to do it with me each day. He figures he can take five minutes from his time to do something nice with me, so this is our third day.

Each time I set up the timer for five minutes and sit quietly, I am surprised how quickly the time goes by. I always thought meditating would be soooo slooooooow and five minutes would seem like an hour.

So I am happy report I am really enjoying this small time-out each day. I sit on a small pillow on my yoga mat, cross legged with my hands palm-up on my knees. Dan just sits near me and quietly stretches.

I have a small Buddha set up nearby with some candles and incense, and also some smooth stones to hold if i want them.

I am thinking about making my own meditation pillow from some scrap fabrics at the thrift store and finding some meditation music to download.

Does anyone meditate? What do you do, set up, listen to, whatever? Do people find the idea of meditating intimidating?

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I am finding that if i wait too long into the evening to meditate, then I am crankier and sleepier. it's hard to focus on inner peace.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
That is awesome Jilly that you are doing it! Definitely I agree that earlier is better. If you keep putting something off then it becomes a have-to-do rather than an enjoyable break.

I have a green pillow that I bought to support a Tibetan monastery -

The idea of making your own seems amazingly nice!

I don't use my pillow much even though I deliberately bought it. I will have to work that in.

Mostly I tend to meditate at night after I write in my journal. Bob likes to have the TV running all day while he works on his laptop and I find that incredibly distracting. So at night when he falls asleep I turn it off, and then I enjoy the blissful silence.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
What a pretty pillow Lisa! Is that buckwheat-filled?

From my research a zafu like that is too high for most people to comfortbly use without needing to break it in. Then once it is broken in people cherish them for decades of solid use.

So I'd say either break it in, or get one of the new zafus that are lower that don't need to be broken in. smile

I am just going to make mine low.

Not sure yet what I will be stuffing it with. Old clothes, cotton batting, grains, gravel, sand? I have a large unused bag of aquarium gravel - I wonder if that would work.

I am searching the thrift stores for just the right fabric for this. It will have to be tough and study, with an agreeable texture for sitting, and hopefully a nice soft meditation-y color. Lavender would be nice, to match my yoga mat, or a nice chocolate brown.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I just had my five minute session today - i lit a candle and some incense for extra goodness. I had experienced my first ever anxiety attack today, so i needed an extra boost of focus on serenity.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I have been doing the daily short meditation most days, and surprisingly to me, Dan is doing them with me. I really look forward to this five minutes of quiet mindfulness.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
That is so wonderful that you are having that quiet time Jilly!

I have my pillow under the tree smile We didn't have presents at all this year, so the only thing under the tree was my pillow smile

Here's the link to where I got my pillow smile

http://www.taraluna.com/Merchant2/mercha...;Category_Code=

I really like the orange one!

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
OOO, the orange one is so rich and silky looking!

I decided to use my aquarium gravel for the pillow (it will be really heavy, but i have nothing else to do with this bag of unused clean gravel). I have some fabric I was thinking of using for my pillow, but I am thinking it's just not sturdy enough.

Will keep looking. smile

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Gravel does sound rather heavy - what if you ground up your corks and used that instead?

What else could you use the gravel for? How about as the bottom layer in the flower / garden pots you'll be growing things in in the spring?

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I just had an insight. I took a small pillow that has a zipper down the side and added some of my fresh clean gravel to it. So it's half cotton batting and half gravel. I will give this a try. My impression is that I like it, and might even want to add more gravel.

I really don't want to buy a zafu. I am sure I can come up with something from things I have. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site