Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#405457 - 10/20/10 11:39 PM Re: Composting discussion [Re: MW1]
jilly Offline
Best Friend

Loc: beneath the rim of the Colorad...
MW1, that is great that you do so much good with your wastes! I hope more and more people can do what you do.

I like to make a game of how little trash i end up with each week. smile

Add Re: Composting discussion to Twitter Add Re: Composting discussion to Facebook Add Re: Composting discussion to MySpace Add Re: Composting discussion to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Composting discussion Add Re: Composting discussion to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Composting discussion to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Composting discussion to Stumbleupon Add Re: Composting discussion to Reddit
#405462 - 10/21/10 02:35 AM Re: Composting discussion [Re: jilly]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Gold Star Soulmate

Loc: US
Our counter-top composter plastic bin with a hole in it is working quite nicely. It doesn't smell and it's easy to use. Right now it's full, Bob has to go take it out to the main composter unit in the back yard. He's the one who does that.

We definitely are doing a good job of putting all food waste into it - but we need to think more broadly. When we get cardboard pizza boxes we put those on the back porch and then carry them out to the main composter.

I'm sure there's many other things we can compost.

For example - lint. We have a nearly full (small) trash container of lint in the laundry room. I keep wondering if I can do something other than throw it away. I imagine I can compost it yes? But what if it's got rayon and stuff in there?

Add Re: Composting discussion to Twitter Add Re: Composting discussion to Facebook Add Re: Composting discussion to MySpace Add Re: Composting discussion to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Composting discussion Add Re: Composting discussion to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Composting discussion to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Composting discussion to Stumbleupon Add Re: Composting discussion to Reddit
#405480 - 10/21/10 08:50 AM Re: Composting discussion [Re: Lisa Shea]
MW1 Offline
Companion

Loc: Virginia
We have a little fire cauldron on our porch outside that we light up almost every weekend when it's cool outside - even done it with 2 feet of snow outside. smile We use the lint from our dryer to start fires instead of using newspaper, etc. that can be recycled. Then you won't have to worry about the rayon, etc. that could be in there... that is, if you have a fire pit/cauldron...

#406554 - 12/07/10 03:24 PM Re: Composting discussion [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline
Best Friend

Loc: beneath the rim of the Colorad...
Lisa, you can absolutely use lint in the compost. And yes, it also makes great fire starter.

I wrote about the uses of lint when i ran the LivingSimply topic on Bellaonline!

I have been looking for a used shredder to come along at my thrift stores. I just found a good one for $5. I have been saving all my paper to shred and add to the compost. It's greener than recycling, so I wanted to try that.

I shredded two grocery bags of paper and added them to the compost yesterday - they are perfect! Great to layer those after adding food wastes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Daily Meditation - 10pm EST
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 05:55 PM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 07:56 AM
19 Year Anniversary
by Lisa Shea
08/20/14 08:39 AM
Help Talking on the phone with a girl
by Lisa Shea
08/16/14 05:59 PM
Aquarian Awakening - a Sci-Fi Romance
by Lisa Shea
08/05/14 05:18 PM
A Sense of Duty
by Lisa Shea
07/29/14 10:48 PM
Into The Wasteland
by Lisa Shea
07/29/14 05:42 PM
Perfect FREE Summer reading!
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 03:21 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Support Charity
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site

origami wedding favors