Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I found this article on Wiki interesting, in the idea that taking apart and using waste wood pallets is a carbon negative activity, which is even better than carbon neutral:
urban lumberajcking

In high school in San Diego we kids all used pallets for beach bonfires, but since then I have not given much thought to using pallets for much.

I think I need to reconsider the humble pallet. There must be a ton of uses. They do burn well. Wood is wood, and these things should not be placed in landfills.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I'm surprised people even use throwaway wooden platforms any more - I would think it'd be more efficient to use forever-reusable plastic ones.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I saw piles of pallets on my trip to the transit station yesterday. All slated for the landfill. Definitely a pity. Wood is a valuable, scarce world resource.

There are countries where women walk for MILES every day simply to collect wood for burning for their households.

I very much agree that reusable plastic ones would make sense. They could be like Trex-deck material, made from recycled PET plastics (which are numbers 1 and 2 i believe). Like soda bottle plastic. They'd last forever!

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Yes I read often about the women who are raped and mutilated while out seeking wood. It is very troubling to me that women are damaged like that just because they need wood, and here in the states we toss it out as trash to bury.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
When i am moved into my new house, I am going to set aside a spot in my recycling center just to place wood scraps for burning.

I want to be able to use everything! Everything can be a resource and have some kind of extra life.

I will also make a firepit - I am thinking to dig a hole and line it with bricks. Of course, these would be best 'twere they salvaged bricks. That should not be so hard to find.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site