Page 1 of 2 1 2
#395383 02/11/10 09:33 PM
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Do you compost? Do you want to? What are the things getting in the way of recycling your kitchen scraps and yard wastes?

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I do want to, but Bob and I are still negotiating how to do it. The main issue is where to put the items right after we use them.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Dan is not especially happy with my composting, and it's certainly an issue. I have a very nice bin in the kitchen for our food wastes. When It fills I add it to the compost bin outside.

The issue is that he finds it annoying to have to open the lid and add the kitchen wastes to our bucket, rather than just tossing things into the trash. He doesn't like having to make new habits and he doesn't like the smell of the rotting foods when he opens the bucket lid.

It means so much to me, however, that he is starting to be okay with it. In Crestline, it was easy: we just tossed food off the back deck into the forest. Here I am working on having us do it properly, to create nice rich compost instead of just letting things decompose.

Of course, now that we are moving into the RV again, everything is once more changing. We went for a hike today and I told dan that I am going to stick to my guns this time and compost somehow in the RV. He was actually amenable! He suggested creating some kind of compost bin on the platform on the back of the RV bumper. I am very excited he's coming on board with this.

We even discussed the Doggy Dooley idea (decomposing - not composting but breaking down) for dog poops. At this point dog doo is the largest single component of our actual trash. So we are thinking of setting up a system with enzymes in a bucket for that on the RV platform.

If you don't mind my asking, Lisa, what is the main concern with Bob in the composting arena? It's possible a worm bin (vermicomposting) might be the solution for you instead.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
OK some funny news. Bob got us a 5 pound plastic container which has a snap-shut lid. It's clear plastic. I thought it was dangerous to have a tight-seal composting container in the kitchen but let him go with it. It's about 8 inches square.

So then a few days later it nearly exploded smile he he he. It had a giant crack down one side. Bob was baffled. I told him I was waiting for it to happen.

He got us another one, and this time he's put a hole into it. We'll see how it does, if it explodes, or if it smells.

This is just a "holding" area, we have an actual composting pile in the back yard.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
lol, that is really funny, lisa! Yeah, loosely fitting lids are what you want...BOOM!

Compost piles create heat. That is how they work. smile

How is your new kitchen container working for you? How is your outside pile working?

I want to eventually get the kind of container that makes compost 'tea.'

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Now I have a place to have a real compost pile. I need more food scraps. I don't eat much. Maybe my neighbors will save me their food scraps...doubtful. Hmmm.

Best Friend
Best Friend
Have you looked into worm composting? I think it could be interesting. We have some friends that are doing it and are pleased with the results so far.

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I'd love to do worm composting. i've read you can use tires for that and the worms migrate between the tires so you can have worm free areas to remove the castings.

I have a bunch of tires and think it would be fun.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
OKay I have my tires stacked four high and the compost is smushed down in them. I have a board on top to keep the rain out of the wheel wells (which would breed skeeters).

I got the tires free at a tire place - he was going to toss them in the landfill anyway. So i saved him money by saving me money. I want to think of more tires uses now. This is fun.

MW1 Offline
Companion
Companion
My husband and I compost. We've got a little container in the kitchen that we use to hold compost materials - once that's full we take it out to our composter in the backyard. If the composter is full we have a small black plastic trashcan with a screw-on lid that we dump compost into until our composter has completed it's cycle. The compost then goes directly into our garden. Last year we actually had some cherry tomato plants growing from underneath our composter because some of the seeds from the tomato scraps we had in there didn't break down!! Was pretty funny - we had tomatoes in our garden, tomatoes from our CSA, tomatoes from underneath our composter...

We compost any and everything we can. Veggie scraps, egg shells, paper plates (not the plastic/wax covered ones - but then again, we don't buy those), paper napkins, etc.

What we can't compost and can't recycle gets thrown away - that's maybe a trash bag a week. Maybe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site