Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#403680 08/02/10 04:32 AM
F
falcon Offline OP
OP Offline
F
My boyfriend and I are 17. We've been going out for 3 months now and we've known each other for a year. We had a class together and became best friends very quickly after he approched me. He has liked me all along, and he asked me out about three months after we met, but I didn't like him like that way at the time. We became angry with each other over that issue and didn't talk for about 6 months. I had always had mixed feelings about him, but one night I realized how crazy i was about him. Seeing him the next day it felt like my whole world had shifted. We got together about 2 months later and have been dating ever since. This is both of our first serious relationships, physically and emotionally. We hate being away from each other for any period of time and we're way more mature than most teens. We say we love each other, and when I look at him it feels so right. We talk about going to college, moving in together and moving after college. So my question is if our realationship sounds like a normal teenage relationship or if it really seems like something more? We've discussed whether we're like other kids our age in realationships, and it's confusing. It seems like things are moving fast, but nothing has felt so right, and he makes me more happy than I've been in the last few years. Does this sound like something that could last? Does this sound like a normal teen relationship?

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hello Falcon & welcome smile

This sounds perfectly normal to me.

Many teenagers have relationships that are quite shallow, but many, many teenagers fall head-over-heels in love.

For most of these young people, this love will not last, but will always be a special memory for them. (For some, it may be a painful memory.)

When I say that it won't last, I mean that it won't last long-term.
For some, it may actually last a few years.

But teenagers change.
You enter your teens a child and leave your teens an adult. Relationships can rarely cope with these changes and couples grow apart. I have seen this happen many times. Long-term couples, who seem to be set for life, suddenly split up and find new partners.

However, as I have mentioned in other posts, I know a happily-married couple in their late 50s, who started dating at 15. My husband & I are in our early 50s and we started dating in our teens. So it can work for some. And it's great when it does, because there are so many shared memories to enjoy.

You and your boyfriend may stay together for a few weeks, a few years, a few months, or forever ~ all of these possibilities are 'normal'. It is good that you are friends, as well as being boyfriend / girlfriend. It's good that this feels right to you. It's good that you communicate well.

A word of warning, though.

When a relationship feels right and you believe that it may last forever, etc, etc, etc, it may feel 'right' to allow it to become physical.

But what if it doesn't last?
Young people who are in love need to be very wary of putting themselves in difficult situations.

Unplanned pregnancy, disease, emotional turmoil, etc, etc, can all result from getting involved in a sexual relationship too early.

What may feel right in one's teens may be a source of regret in later life.
Not always, of course, but this is certainly worth thinking about.

Good luck! smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site