Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#399605 04/25/10 12:29 AM
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I think so many of us hoard books that it's worthy of being it's own thread!

We can list ideas and suggestions for helping us here. here is my thinking:

I adore books and they make me happy to have them all around me. They make me feel safe. Yet they are heavy (if you move a lot or live in an RV). They take up a lot of space when you have many. And how often do they all get read?

It's rather selfish to keep books after you've read them, unless they are useful for reference, or are those few you know you will read over and over again.

Ideas:

- donate them to libraries - bonus - you get to read them
again. Or they can use them in their book sales to buy fresh new books!

- sell at used bookstores for cash or credit, or online at amazon/craigslist.

- if you go to RV resorts you can use them as trade items at RV activity center libraries, or just straight to other RVers.

- donate them to places like Goodwill. They will help the local community in terms of people being able to afford inexpensive books, and you might get a receipt for tax credit.

- other ideas?

I have been working out some piles. Really pretty books in good shape i have set aside to sell online. The problem of course is finding time to do this. In the meantime I have basically boxes of books which are still really clutter. :-(

Then for less pristine books I trade them in the RV resorts and sell them in my local used book store for credit. That works pretty well.

I also have some I give to friends and family members as gifts.

A large problem is i have so many books i have not read yet. I am so busy that I let them pile up! This is an issue. I need to set aside quality reading time to be able to clear these books out. But it seems like a big luxury to actually do that.

jilly #399608 04/25/10 12:32 AM
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Jilly -

I have found I can read while hula hooping. So find an exercise that you can do while reading. That way it's not a luxury. It's important health time smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
The books I get are books that I want. And I usually like to read them or refer to them, again, over the years. They are really too numerous, but there aren't many that I would be happy to part with. I love my books and would be totally lost without them.

Reading while hula hooping?! smile
Now that really is multi-tasking. I couldn't do that smile smile

Last edited by PDM; 04/25/10 12:46 AM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #399618 04/25/10 12:51 AM
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
It's really not too hard - your hips are moving but your torso stays pretty stationary. So it's fairly easy once you start out doing it. Another option is to keep a book in the bathroom (since you have to use it anyway) and to read while you take a bath. I also read while I eat. So those are all ways to work through a book while doing normal life tasks.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
true, Lisa. I did start a new activity in the last few days - doing 20 minutes of the Legs Up the Wall pose for yoga. I set a timer and bring a book and do the legs thing. It's a great inversion and feels really good when you are done. I even found a wall in the RV to do it. So that is at least 20 minutes of reading time.

i read novels before sleep but can't do non-fiction before bed - it wakes me brain up.

i read business-learning things online while eating.

But the legs up the wall time is at least a start. :-) I will think about more. With my daily running, I can't read.

jilly #399646 04/25/10 06:07 AM
Best Friend
Best Friend
LMAO! re hula hooping!! That in itself is impressive! To read while hula hooping is just so.....awesome. Ha! Hat goes off to you! lol

I read every minute I can. In the bath, while eating, at Dr.s office, any time I have to wait any longer than 5 minutes! Before I go to sleep, work breaks. I love to read. I always have to have a supply of un-read books on hand otherwise it upsets my stride, or something like that. My world seems better with a few books to look forward to

When I first get a new batch, I look through every one before I read one. What it's about, about the author, sometimes reviews. Then I read the most interesting one first and on like that! hahahaha! I enjoy every aspect of the books I read.

I also love my books though. I WILL trade books with friends, but I have books that I will never get rid of. Although there are times I've found that in 5 years, I might not think the same about a particular book.

I wouldn't call myself an actual hoarder though. I don't keep most of them.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
jilly #399648 04/25/10 06:11 AM
Best Friend
Best Friend
Jilly I hadn't thought about that yoga pose for years! Thanks for reminding me. It DOES feel good after.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Best Friend
Best Friend
Reading while hula hooping! There's multi-tasking!!! :-)

I like Jilly's idea better. I really would like to try yoga...but I don't know.....

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
cyberbud #399652 04/25/10 09:00 AM
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Legs Up the Wall rules! You find a wall space that is cleared out. Place pillows on the floor and get your pelvis right up against the wall with your legs resting easily against the vertical wall. If you have a neck pillow, you can read while you do this with a book on your chest.

It's an inverted position, but a relaxed one. You get all the mental/physical benefits and it takes so little effort. UNlike a handstand! lol. Apparently if you do this enough you will not have to worry about a lot of health problems.

it's a tiny bit awkward to find your position, but once you have it, 20 minutes is easy. Your timer will tell you when to get up and you can read while you lie there.

Your pets will also be attracted to you while you lie there. lol.

jilly #399661 04/25/10 12:43 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I used to do that while I was pregnant with my eldest.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site