RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#424483 09/03/12 10:55 AM
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I quit smoking 3 years ago and I quit for long periods of time, 8 months or more..but I just cannot stay quit! I just quit again on September 1st and each time it gets harder to quit.

I am just plain tired of quitting. Believe me it gets harder every time I start up again. Only smokers understand the draw to cigarettes. Forgive the pun please.

It is incredible the obsession the mind has with those damn things and I want it gone! Please do not tell me how to quit smoking, I know how to do that, just do not light up no matter what. It is the only way to quit, stop smoking. I do take Wellbutrin for the anxiety for a while and it does help.

I need tools to smash the old thinking later down the line that says I can just have one....You can NEVER have just one ever again. I want to be a forever non smoker. The mind is a terrible thing when it wants what it wants. Once again the journey begins..... Maybe getting honest on this forum will help me to break the ties for good this time.

Anyone going through this?

I
Gold Star Soulmate
Gold Star Soulmate
I
i started out with being giving Wellbutrin it did not help me at all then i went to the first patch ever made (you can see how long ive battled this) it was the only patch out there...i found it did make me quit ...then cheaper patches that never seemed to stay on... then it was on to Chantix...

that works too very well BUT i didnt like the side affects...all that being said tess...what i did find out is this....once you have managed to stay off smokes ...id suggest ALWAYS keeping just a patch or two or whatever so WHEN not if like you said as once a smoker always a smoker with the urges...anyway just a patch or two for when the time comes that this dang urge creeps out and you think just one...that you can use that patch or the wellbutrin ...it wont work with the chantix however as you would need the starter kit...

that might...work...just to get over that hump day of wanting ...JUST ONE...that never ends up being JUST ONE even tho you die when you take it lol and the taste is horrible and you get light headed but still go on TO TWO then three and ooooooops ...here ya go again back to smoking. sick

OFF the subject for just a bit here read under REGISTERING AND LOGGING IN again at what i also just noticed...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/03/12 06:10 PM.
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
My Dr found a very good way to quit and it works even on the die hard smokers I know. Wellbutrin 300mg XL, once each morning, using also the 21 mg patch for 4 weeks, then the 14 mg patch for 4 weeks then the 7 mg patch for 4 weeks all while using the Wellbutrin 300 XL. After your done with the patch you stay on the wellbutrin for another month or two. Works real well, even my hubby who smoked 2 packs a day quit pretty easy. He hasn't smoked for over 2 years, but he eats lifesavers like he owns stock in the company. Chantix is a terrible drug ...I won't get into it but I will never try that again.

The theory the Dr. has is that not only physical withdraw is hard but the anxiety associated with quitting is why people fail. Her method combines a remedy for both and it is really quite easy compared to all others I have tried.

But...my problem is quitting for good. I go months after the wellbutrin/patch therapy is long over and I am smoke free for up to a year later and then I miss it so much I give in and bam! I am a smoker again. I cannot get over this hump. Well, atleast for the 3 or 4 years I have been smoke free 90% of it.

I am giving this my best effort this time but if I fall off the wagon then I guess I will just accept the fact that I made a huge mistake at 15 years old that I have to pay for the rest of my life, as short as cigarettes will make it.

I
Gold Star Soulmate
Gold Star Soulmate
I
i agree that for the majority such as myself the chantix definetely had its pros and cons...and i sure didnt like the cons that affected me...it outweighed the pros to it...wellbutrin had zero affect on me as i guess i dont really go thru the anxiety part of this...never did just the physical end of it...the HABITS of it i got thru pretty well...and learning to break those as the rest was being applied....

however ive reached now the part where you say....oh well...it is what it is an will suffer any the consequences even tho its not a cool thought to harbor.

most of my smoking i have noticed is done while sitting at this computer...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/04/12 05:55 PM.
Soulmate
Soulmate
I have smoked on and off but mostly off. One thing that really helps is I never smoke in my apartment because of the birds and I only get 2 15 minute a day breaks at work and need to use them to eat lunch. I guess I am lucky because at times if stressed or traveling I may buy a pack but after it is finished dont want another one

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I know different things work for different people, but I do know several who were finally able to break the habit through hypnosis. It gave their brain that extra push to stay strong. So it might be worth a shot.

Lisa Shea, Owner
G
G
Smoking and drinking are the worst addiction and these are not easy to get rid of from these addiction. They can harmful for lungs and heart..

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site