RomanceClass.com
Posted By: jilly Open Marriages - 07/06/10 12:44 AM
has anyone heard of an open marriage working? Has anyone ever tried it or wanted to?
Posted By: Niki Re: Open Marriages - 07/06/10 04:38 AM
Do not know of any, honestly. I don't see a moral issue with it as long as the intentions for marriage are established. Have thought of doing it though. Probably won't ever happen.

Would love to hear of cases if there are any to share.
Posted By: PDM Re: Open Marriages - 07/06/10 11:48 PM
It might be ok for a minority of people, but for the majority I am guessing that it wouldn't. I did hear of a case ~ possibly in this section smile
Posted By: starfire Re: Open Marriages - 07/07/10 03:23 AM
I think it will only work if rules are laid out first as to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in the open marriage.

There's a wide amount of leeway in the definition of open marriage. Is extramarital intercourse allowed? Is only oral sex allowed? Are sexual relations allowed without spouse present? Are sexual relations only allowed when spouse is present? Must extramarital partner submit to a blood test prior to relations? Must a condom be used at all times in extramarital intercourse?

I imagine the most difficult thing about an open marriage is just breaking the ice about the subject. How does one let their spouse know they might be interested in an open marriage without offending them if they are not to keen on the whole idea?

Bottom line is, if both people accept it, and agree to play by the rules, it works just fine. But as PDM said, the majority wouldn't go for it because they are either to emotionally connected to their spouse on a physical level, to jealous to accept another person in the mix which is perfectly natural, or just won't follow the set rules and end up ruining the marriage because they took the open marriage to far.
Posted By: jilly Re: Open Marriages - 08/16/10 02:19 AM
Starfire, that is very well laid out. I think you've stated it very elegantly.
© RomanceClass Forum