RomanceClass.com
Posted By: jilly Urban Lumberjacking (wood pallets) - 02/13/10 06:36 PM
I found this article on Wiki interesting, in the idea that taking apart and using waste wood pallets is a carbon negative activity, which is even better than carbon neutral:
urban lumberajcking

In high school in San Diego we kids all used pallets for beach bonfires, but since then I have not given much thought to using pallets for much.

I think I need to reconsider the humble pallet. There must be a ton of uses. They do burn well. Wood is wood, and these things should not be placed in landfills.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Urban Lumberjacking (wood pallets) - 02/15/10 07:07 AM
I'm surprised people even use throwaway wooden platforms any more - I would think it'd be more efficient to use forever-reusable plastic ones.
Posted By: jilly Re: Urban Lumberjacking (wood pallets) - 02/15/10 07:29 AM
I saw piles of pallets on my trip to the transit station yesterday. All slated for the landfill. Definitely a pity. Wood is a valuable, scarce world resource.

There are countries where women walk for MILES every day simply to collect wood for burning for their households.

I very much agree that reusable plastic ones would make sense. They could be like Trex-deck material, made from recycled PET plastics (which are numbers 1 and 2 i believe). Like soda bottle plastic. They'd last forever!
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Urban Lumberjacking (wood pallets) - 03/27/10 05:49 AM
Yes I read often about the women who are raped and mutilated while out seeking wood. It is very troubling to me that women are damaged like that just because they need wood, and here in the states we toss it out as trash to bury.
Posted By: jilly Re: Urban Lumberjacking (wood pallets) - 06/01/10 04:33 AM
When i am moved into my new house, I am going to set aside a spot in my recycling center just to place wood scraps for burning.

I want to be able to use everything! Everything can be a resource and have some kind of extra life.

I will also make a firepit - I am thinking to dig a hole and line it with bricks. Of course, these would be best 'twere they salvaged bricks. That should not be so hard to find.
© RomanceClass Forum