RomanceClass.com
Posted By: Lisa Shea Car maintenance book - 11/14/11 01:44 PM
I'm very happy, I now have all my Subaru Forester car maintenance notes in one green binder. It's sorted by date and a sheet at the very front lists exactly what major things need to be done at intervals, and the date and mileage I last did them.

You can see what it looks like in case you want to make one like it -

http://www.lisashea.com/hobbies/auto/subarumaintenance.pdf

Today I go in to get new tires. They are overdue. I didn't realize they were overdue until I made this book up.

It is so nice to get this under control and to know how to make sure my car works as well as it can. I depend on my car!

How do you guys track your car maintenance?
Posted By: PDM Re: Car maintenance book - 11/14/11 02:52 PM
Hi smile

My car is serviced and MOT'd every year and the service history is in the book that came with the car.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Car maintenance book - 11/14/11 09:36 PM
Oh cool so do they update that for you or do you write in what they did when you got the car back?

Bob took my car in for me today, so I could keep working on my tasks. I have new tires now! I'm so happy. It's really snowy here in the winter and I desperately needed new tires.

Now to look at the next tasks on the list like getting the serpentine belt looked at.
Posted By: PDM Re: Car maintenance book - 11/14/11 10:14 PM
Well, for the annual services, etc, every time they work on the car, we get an itemised report / receipt, which is then slipped into the log book ~ and they also stamp the service record.

Each MOT results in a report and a certificate ~ so they go in, too.

That way, we know exactly what has been done, when and by whom ~ and we can prove that we are driving a safe, legal car.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Car maintenance book - 11/15/11 12:08 AM
Dear PDM -

Ah so if it slips in the log book it sounds like what I have - plastic sleeves that I slide my receipts into? Mine is in a 3 ring binder. So when Bob brought home the tire receipt from today, that went into a plastic sleeve as the new last page of my binder.

I don't carry it in the car though - I keep it in the house.
Posted By: PDM Re: Car maintenance book - 11/15/11 08:47 AM
This is smaller than a ring binder and no plastic sleeves. I do have some of those though. I use them for family history items, etc.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Car maintenance book - 11/15/11 04:13 PM
Ah ok very interesting. It's an interesting idea to have it right in the car so I can easily reference it when I'm at the mechanic's for example. I should think about that as a secondary list. Maybe even just keep my "cover sheet" with the most important items in there.
Posted By: jilly Re: Car maintenance book - 12/04/11 11:43 PM
Mine is kept in the car too, under the seat, in a three ring binder with sheet protectors and index dividers. The only car related thing that stays in the house is the title - everything else is in the car.

I need to set aside time for an oil change. I am a little confused now by people saying you don;'t actually need frequent oil changes...?
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Car maintenance book - 01/27/12 02:33 AM
I am happy to report that most of my car issues are now all set. Of course there was some excitement - I brought the car in for a full checkup. The mechanic said the exhaust might need to be replaced in a year or so. Literally a week later it fell right off the car! Sheesh. So he welded it back on.

Now there's a squeak in the front supports. So hopefully once I get *that* fixed, it'll be set!
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Car maintenance book - 09/23/12 12:01 AM
I'm happy to report that the car maintenance book is working very well. It's nice to be able to glance at it occasionally and see what is pending to do. Right now an oil change is pending, so it's on the list. Bob does those for me for free.

So I definitely recommend having one of these for your car.
© RomanceClass Forum