RomanceClass.com
Posted By: Lisa Shea Favorite Form of Exercise? - 12/04/11 12:15 AM
I've been testing out a Wii dancing game and enjoying it immensely. I danced an hour Thursday and an hour today. Bob plays along on the guitar which is neat too. It's a great way to get some healthy movement into my life, plus I get to update my game reviews.

What type of activity are you enjoying now that winter is coming?
Posted By: jilly Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 12/05/11 02:18 AM
I have been doing some dancing at some bars, now that I have a few friends to go to bars with. And I have my twist board for while watching tv, and yoga.

That's kind of it right now. too many storms passing through this time of year to get regular hikes in.
Posted By: jilly Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 01/14/12 05:11 AM
I am really not getting much in the way of workouts these days. I am focusing more in nutrition, which is new.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 02/04/12 01:09 AM
Nutrition is good, hopefully soon you can have both nutrition and healthy movement going along side by side.

I enjoy dance games, so as long as I can get Bob off the TV I have an opportunity to play for a little while.

Today it was stepping to songs though. That's fun too!
Posted By: jilly Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 02/05/12 09:57 PM
The weather has been very gentle recently, and i've been getting outside more. I look forward to starting to run daily again. My plan is to do that once dan leaves.
Posted By: Kathy A Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 02/05/12 10:17 PM
Well, that just shows how young you guys are! Dancing for an hour??? We went dancing at the company xmas party....in Feb no less, and danced a little. Hubby now has 2 new knees, yay! But I'm sore. frown Can't boogie down at 54. Darn, getting old sucks.
Posted By: jilly Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 02/05/12 10:22 PM
I don't like to think about age being so much a deterrent. I am 44 this year and I think Lisa is 42. I don't think in ten years I won't be hiking and running and dancing.

I am glad you did go do some boogie! I don't mind being a little sore - it means my body is stretching. smile

I do live in a state where I am regularly excited to see people in their 80s hiking out of the Grand Canyon. I want to be out there at one hundred. I know it won't be as effortless, but I can make smaller goals if I need to.
Posted By: Montague Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 07/19/12 04:38 PM
My favorite is cardio exercise.
Cardio exercises are the best for the weight loss and fitness.
These cardio exercises burn the fat more effectively and control the cholesterol level which lead to healthy heart.
The more effective cardio exercises are jogging, running, swimming,cycling, and jumping a rope.
Posted By: Montague Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 07/21/12 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Montague
My favorite is Cardio exercises.
Cardio exercises are the best for the weight loss and fitness.
These cardio exercises burn the fat more effectively and control the cholesterol level which lead to healthy heart.
The more effective cardio exercises are jogging, running, swimming,cycling, and jumping a rope.

Any comment?
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 09/24/12 04:41 AM
Montague -

I think all forms of exercise provide a health benefit. My boyfriend just went from 300 pounds to 195 pounds from February to now. However, he didn't just do it with just cardio activities. He mixed cardio with strength training with flexibility. All three are absolutely necessary.

If you do cardio without nurturing your joints you could destroy your knees, which means no more running. If you do cardio without strength training you run into other support-system issues.

Also if you do the same thing over and over again your body builds resistance to that activity - it no longer puts out the same effort doing it.

So the most effective systems mix it up every day. Each day you do something new, focusing on a different part of the body. If all you did was cycle every day, then your legs would become quite efficient at that one motion. It would no longer truly strain your legs. The rest of you would not get a great workout.

You would want to cycle one day, box the next, do yoga the third, and so on. It's about using all of the muscles, in different ways, stretching all the body parts, in different ways, and twisting in all directions as well.

It's great that you like cardio! It sounds like it's a good time to start looking into strength training and flexibility activities to round out your body's experiences.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 12/14/12 05:25 AM
I'm missing kayaking which we did all summer long. However it's probably good to take a break from it so I appreciate it even more in the spring when we start up again.

I have been SOOO busy doing all the forum and server upgrades that I haven't danced in a long time. I've only been doing yoga. That's not good. So I will make a concerted effort to dance even just for a half hour in the coming days.

What are you guys doing?
Posted By: jilly Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 12/19/12 05:54 AM
Right now it is hiking. I have a plan to spend more time on the lower colorado river in yuma with my kayak, and can't wait for that.

I miss doing running and yoga. Have not been super active this year. Been feeling really sad and down, mostly. I am trying to climb out of that.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 12/21/12 01:54 AM
Dear Jilly -

It is quite wonderful that you focused on resting and healing! That was exactly what you needed.

Now you can see what activities you are drawn to, and enjoy those! If hiking brings you contentment, then that is wonderful smile.

In terms of what I enjoy we are too cold here to hike, and definitely too cold to kayak. So I am focusing on my indoor enjoyments like yoga and Wii dancing. Even those, I've been so busy that I've put them off. I am pushing hard to get all sorts of household stuff listed on ebay etc. for the holiday season. So I should gain time in a few days when that no longer becomes such an imperative.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 04/18/13 10:17 PM
Another few weeks and I can start kayaking again! I'm really looking forward to that.

What do you guys like to do in the spring?
Posted By: Gumman Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 07/10/13 10:39 PM
Cardio (running, waliking, jogging, swimming, cycling) is the best exercise and they are very useful for losing weight..
Posted By: jilly Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 08/31/13 12:46 AM
i enjoy mixing activities: running, walking, hiking, yoga, stretching, treadmill, rowing machine, arm cycle, spinning, paddling, climbing, stair climber, and pulling on the rope thing (like they do in Biggest Loser). Swimming. I like being outdoors and i also enjoy the gym.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 08/31/13 04:02 PM
Gumman -

I agree that cardio is an important part of the mix. I think flexibility and strength training are both also important, and that it's a combination of the three that bring the best health.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 08/31/13 04:04 PM
Jilly -

Yes, that does seem to be the best way, to use all the muscles in a variety of ways! To do the stretching, and to do the weight bearing, and to use all body parts in all their numerous angles smile.

I love being outdoors, especially kayaking and hiking. I also enjoy yoga, for the flexibility side. I don't do much that involves strength building, and I need to work on that.
Posted By: jilly Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 10/02/13 10:11 PM
Dan and I got a canoe, so I have been doing some paddling here in Mission Bay. I miss my kayaks and will bring them here after the holidays.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Favorite Form of Exercise? - 10/25/13 12:28 PM
That is wonderful about the canoe, Jilly! We used to have a canoe, but we ended up selling it. Ours was fairly heavy, though. I'm sure they have lighter ones out there.
© RomanceClass Forum