RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
To start off - I've never been a lover person. All through middle school I laughed off my friends crushes, calling them silly, stupid, and a waste of time. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't ever trying to be vindictive, it's just always been my personally. I've always cared more about my school work and passions for activities than had any crushes. My friends can't believe it - but there's no reason for me to lie here. I honestly haven't had a crush before. I really didn't care.

Then high school hits. I've been going to this school since kindergarten - it takes you all the way through senior year in High School. So I've been with the same group of kids (minus and plus a few between years and transfers) for about 10 years when Freshman year comes round. In our advising group (10 or so kids that meet every day as a break after lunch to just relax and do things together as a team) we had one new kid. I hadn't really hung out with any guys because I just wasn't comfortable with the idea in middle school - thanks to my friends ridiculous crushes and all. So a new guy comes into our advising - I'm going to call him Steve. Most of the time we went back and forth arguing, but it was harmless, friendly banter. Later that year we realized that we were both really into the same political party (politics is a big deal to me!), but it didn't really make a difference.

Sophomore year things changed. First of all - there was an election, and we were both behind the same candidate. We started talking a lot - less arguing, more discussing of ideas. We grew to talking without pretext more and more. With my two best friends becoming more and more busy (one very academic and a bigger circle of friends due to her higher honors and AP courses, the other increasingly obsessive with boys and less interested with me) I found myself talking to Steve more than my two core friends that I'd had since middle school some days.

At first I was a little suprised and then happy to have an actual guy friend for once. I'd tripped up and done stupid annoying things at first, but as this years has progressed I've found myself becoming more and more comfortable around him and his friends. I'm still not girly, not really into dances or my one friend's obsessiveness concerning the opposite sex, but lately I've been wondering if I actually like this guy.

There's more to this story then friend to friend with crush. I don't know much about relationships besides the typical chic flick dramas that I'm forced to see with friends - but I know that that's a classic. I frequently feel that we're just friends, then I feel that I really am starting to like him. This being a first for me I'm still not sure. There are days I beg myself to change my mind, to stay friends, things are easy that way. But then I feel I just can't ignore this.

But anyway - the big twist is another girl - let's call her Shelly. Apparently she's liked him since the day he got here. Steve's all around pretty nice, and I guess pretty cute (again, not that used to saying/judging these types of things - weird I know, but that's just how it goes...still not that comfortable saying it) and it went from freshman year Steve liking Shelly (but she wouldn't return his feelings) to Shelly liking Steve but never doing anything about it. So it's gone on till now. Shelly asked Steve to the Sadie Hawkins dance which I'd not planned on attending or asking anyone to on account of my big sis coming in from college and me just not liking dancing or the atmosphere that much.

I've read all the advice I can on your site - and it's great advice - probably the best being talk to your friends. I'd die to be like the precocious obsessive one who'll tell us every crush she has every second she feels a new one coming on. Thing is, I've been close to working up the nerve several times, to get their advice on the situation. The thing that's stopped me every time is Shelly. She's not in our tight circle of three, but she's really nice and I'm in quite a few classes with her so we talk a fair bit. Whenever I've brought up the Shelly/Steve thing to either of them they talk about how adorable they'd be, with me biting my lip and agreeing heartily with them.

So it leaves me with this resource. I've done plenty of things online - but this is probably one of the craziest ones of all - posting this entire situation for pretty much anyone to see. But looking at your site I see you guys are good! So I want your opinion on anything in this little drama. Should I just make myself forget about these possible feelings and stick to being friends like half of me desperately wants to do? Should I work up the nerve to talk to my friends and ask their advice since they know so much more gossip than I do and the people well enough? Should I do anything with Steve directly?

Yeah, I sound completely pathetic and akward I know - but better to post a story for some of your enjoyment than hoard it away all on my own. I hope I can work up the courage to come back and see what you guys say.

Thanks so much -

Robin
smile

Last edited by New to Love; 02/15/08 05:00 AM.
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Robin its sounds like your in a difficult situation.
I would not say anything to other friends as it very possibly could get out to the two people whom you may not want to say anything about it.

I'd sort of advise you to remain friends with Steve and Shelly and down the road someone will come along that you can actually call your boyfriend.

Question does Steve know that you feel awkward around other guys?
Maybe you can get a closer friendship with Shelly and talk to her about guy/girl relationships.

I think if you were to do anything now with Steve you may loose your friendship with both of them. Who knows what will happen in the future. I can almost guarantee that Steve and Shelly will not last forever. I certainly did not stay with my first few boy friends and believe me I did not have lots of them either. In high school every one thinks they are madly in love but in most cases no one lasts.

My name is Connie
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hi New to Love & welcome.

I don't think that I'd discuss this with friends ~ you just don't know what the reaction might be.

If this Steve is as nice as he sounds, and you get on with him & trust him, then I think I'd suggest telling him.

He then has the choice of you or Shelly. Since he's liked Shelly for a long time, he may well choose her, but you just can't be sure. If you have become closer friends lately, you never know, he might just choose you. If he doesn't know how you feel, he may not know that you are even in the running.

Yes, I'd talk to him about it, quietly & without fuss, but be prepared for him to say that he just wants to be friends.

Good luck! smile

Last edited by PDM; 02/15/08 10:53 PM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
N
OP Offline
N
Thank you both so much - sorry it's been so long, I'm laughing as I'm rereading my post, while my feelings are still there I don't feel so pained about the situation.

I'm not going to talk to my friends about this - I don't think they have any idea how I feel and it could definately get to Shelly this way. I'm betting on either Shelly or Steve making a move by next year. I think I can just strengthen my friendship and realtionship with Steve, and wait for next year, Junior year to ask him anything. I'll obviously be hoping that the whole thing with Shelly and Steve will be over, and then see how it goes!

Thanks so much for your help!

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Good luck & take care! smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site