I'm gonna end up in a long-distance relationship as well. Both of us are in the military and were in the same command until I checked out on leave before reporting to my next command in October. Since I am on leave (will be attending school for a month next month for my next command), she and I have been going out and seeing each other every evening. We started out as friends last year, with me being her mentor and always supportive and available for her, and one thing led to another. Like myself, she's been in the Navy for almost 12 yrs. (a year behind me) and is a year younger than me (33 yrs old/I'm 34., like me, she never married or had kids/had a breakup 3 yrs. ago from her boyfriend cheating on her and never dated until I came along). She was difficult to be asked out for a date when requested before by other guys. I'm glad she said "yes" the first time I asked her out. She has even smiled more and talked more often because of that. Other being both beautiful both inside and outside, it is difficult to find another woman like my age that is in the same predicament as her. What makes her my special lady is that she has a quiet dignity about her, yet very pleasant and sweet to talk to. Both of us are patient and willing to listen to each other. We can talk to each other about anything and everytime I see her, I get that smile on my face. And when I'm stressed out, her radiating presence just makes me relaxed. And, because she doesn't smoke or drink, she looks 10 yrs. younger. And she thinks the same way of me. We both have similar height, (I'm 5"6, she's 5"4) and similar in interests/demeanor/maturity. Only difference is our religion/ethnicity, which makes us look odd to some (she's African-American, I'm Filipino-American). Before she and I eloped, I was also broken up from an engagement 4 yrs. ago. Although I did some occassional dating, I never went steady with anyone for 4 yrs. until she and I took a particular interest in each other. Since both of us are a rare kind for our age group, we are afraid of losing each other and vowed to contact each other long distance. And since my residence at my new command will be 4 hrs. away, we plan to visit and spend time together every weekend unless one of us has duty or deploy. She will be transferring in August of next year and I do hope she won't end up stationed outside of Virginia. That's the part that scares us the most. I don't know how one can deal with the other if one of use is seeing someone else. She or I would be devastated. Both of uas almost cried the day I checked out of my command and told her goodbye and realized that I'll never see her again except on our own time. I'm used to seeing her at work/lunch everyday, giving her advice/wisdom, and doing mostly our dating on the weekends instead of everyday just like right now.

Last edited by Tequila; 07/11/07 03:31 AM.