RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
I got to know this guy in class a month ago (university, we are both old enough to do whatever we want) and started to go on dates with him. He asked me out first but I feel like I now like him more than he likes me. So far, this is what we've done:
1st date: coffee
2nd: dinner+movie theatre
3rd: walked around a park where we held hands for the first time
4th: walked around the campus and had our first kiss
5th: walked around the campus
6th: dinner
7th: did homework together
8th: grocery shopped together, he made a dinner for us at his house and we watched a movie.. We watched it on his bed and eventually made out+oral sex

This all happened over the last 3 weeks, and I am curious whether or not we are considered a girlfriend/boyfriend to each other.
When we had our first kiss, I asked him 'are we dating?', which he said yes to, and when I asked him (our last date) 'how would you define our relationship?' (as in are we bf/gf yet? but I am not sure if he got what I meant), he said 'I haven't thought about it yet. What do you want out of a relationship? We should talk about it after we think about it'

I did not mean to go that far (oral sex) with him on our last date, but we got carried away. I do not regret doing so, however, because I really like him. Because it happened, however, I am now curious whether or not he considers me as his girlfriend or just using me as someone to have sex with. Because I already asked him twice about our relationship, I don't want to bring it up again anytime soon because it will make me look desperate.

I really like him now and would love to be his girlfriend. I want to know if he feels the same or if he already considers us a couple.

What do you think of our relationship? Would you consider us gf/bf or do you think he is just using me? (to me, it is obvious that he is not one of those guys who follow '3 date rule' (sex on/after 3rd date).. don't you think so? He also told me that he cares about me) Do you think he already considers me as his girlfriend?
Maybe we're still in our 'dating' stage, and it's taking a little longer than me for him to decide?

Thanks!

MW1 Offline
Companion
Companion
I think when he said he hadn't thought about it, he meant it. Guys usually mean exactly what they say - that was one hard thing I had to get used to with my husband.

I think it's a good idea to think about what you might want to get out of the relationship and what he might want to get out of it as well. Once you figure out what you'd like to get out of it - be it, you just want to have fun and aren't looking for anything serious, or you're interested in pursuing a deeper relationship with this guy, or something else.

Depending on when he said what he did to you after you asked him what you guys were - I'd say give it a couple of days and then bring it up with him again casually. Tell him you'd thought about what you asked him before and that you'd like to talk to him about it.

The "making out" could be a sign that you both really like one another. You've gone out together 8 times - I'd say you're still in the dating portion. You don't have to define your relationship as boyfriend/girlfriend. You guys can just enjoy one another's company before you decide together to make it "exclusive" to you two.

Don't assume anything.

Good luck!

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Welcome Khortnii smile

Interestingly, someone else on here asked, recently, if they should class their relationship as 'boyfriend / girlfriend', or not ~ and it seems that different people have different views on this.

Some would say that if one has only dated a few times, then it's not really classed as anything, but others would say that, once someone agrees to go out with someone else ~ dating ~ then they simply are boyfriend and girlfriend ~ automatically, without actually having to say or decide anything.

Of course, if it's just going out as 'friends', or if they go out once and decide it isn't for them, then that is different, but, to me, what you describe is a 'boyfriend / girlfriend' relationship in its early days ~ you went on more than one date, you kissed and, finally, you became involved in consensual sexual activity.

You say 'I really like him now and would love to be his girlfriend'. In my opinion, you already are his girlfriend.

But what you want to know is whether he would agree or, as your post asks, is he using you?

Is he one of the people who assume that a dating couple are 'boyfriend and girlfriend'?
But these are just words ~ do they really make a huge difference?

Have you reason to think that he is using you?
Even if he called you his 'girlfriend', would that really make a difference?
If he really were using you, then whatever word he used would make no real difference.

You like him, and it sounds as if he likes you, but you now think that your feelings for him may be stronger than his are for you.
Why do you say that?
What makes you feel that way?

Why do you need to know how to label this relationship?
Does it need a label?
You seem to think that it does.

You say:
Quote:
I did not mean to go that far (oral sex) with him on our last date, but we got carried away. I do not regret doing so

Why are you worried that he may be using you, if you are ok with what has happened between you.

The thing is, something is bothering you ~ otherwise you would not have posted on here.

You say:

Quote:
we are both old enough to do whatever we want

When we had our first kiss, I asked him 'are we dating?', which he said yes to

I did not mean to go that far (oral sex) with him on our last date

I got to know this guy in class a month ago

This all happened over the last 3 weeks

I am curious whether or not we are considered a girlfriend/boyfriend to each other

Does he like me or is he using me?

It strikes me that, generally, you feel very comfortable with this boy, even though you have only known him for such a brief time, but you wonder whether you are right to feel that way. After all, you have known him only a month and have become involved in sexual activity after only three weeks of dating.

To me, there are no sex:date rules. No-one should have sex with anyone just because they feel that it is expected of them. Personally, I think that there should be love, trust and commitment. I was brought up to believe that there should be marriage, too, but I know that this idea is considered to be very old-fashioned, nowadays. However, I think that many girls still want trust and love ~ or, at least, genuine affection.

But love and trust come with time.

You know how you feel about this boy, but you don't know how he feels about you. You don't know if he is using you. You don't know whether he is telling his friends about your relationship. You don't know enough about him, because you have known him for only four weeks.

You want / need to know, but asking him will not give you the full answer ~ only knowing him better and longer will do that. I believe in communication, but, as MW1 says, many men see the world differently from girls and his responses may not fit with your expectations, so yes, communicate, but also just get to know each other ~ slowly and surely.

I feel that, in spite of your protestations that you are 'old enough to do whatever [you] want' and that you 'do not regret .. [going] .. that far ... on [your] last date', you actually do feel a little uncomfortable about it.

If he had said that he loved you, or even said that you were his 'girlfriend', you might be feeling more comfortable about it now, but it wouldn't really alter anything very much, because you still couldn't be sure whether or not he was telling you the truth, or whether he might be using you. This is because you do not know him very well, because you only met a month ago.

I don't know what is going on, but walks in the park holding hands, and cooking you a meal for two, sound really sweet and romantic, so he could well be a really nice, genuine young man.

However, you have a feeling that you are more interested than he is, and you worry that he might be using you. If you sense this, then be very careful. Wait to see how things develop. Find out what he is really like. Get to know him better.

You may think that you were ready, and that you have no regrets, but you 'did not mean to go that far' and now, because you are concerned about whether you are actually in a relationship or not, you are concerned enough to post a request for advice on here.

Also, though you want to hear the truth from him, you 'don't want to bring [the subject] up again .. because it will make [you] look desperate'.

From your post I gather that you don't want to feel used; you don't want to appear desperate and you don't like feeling confused about the status of your relationship. Most girls would empathise with this, I think.

But worrying about what has already happened, or about how each of you define your relationship, isn't going to make you feel better, so, in these early stages, you would be better to stick to holding hands, talking, getting to know each other, spending time together and, yes, kissing ~ but not going further than that ~ not until you are really ready.

What do you think?

Good luck smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
K
OP Offline
K
Thank you so much to you both, MW1 and PDM, for your thoughtful insights! They really make me feel better and understanding.

After all, I don't think that relationships need to be labeled, so to speak. However, since my 'boyfriend' and I seem to be progressing really quickly, at least to me, I was worried that all he might be looking for is a sex partner. Also, in my mind, it is 'more okay' to get sexually involved with someone I am in a relationship with, not just a guy who I've been on a few dates with. Maybe I am just old fashioned, haha.
The way he acted during our make out session made me conclude that he is way more experienced in this field than I am, so I think this is also what made me worry about it.

He is a smart, outgoing and charming guy and is involved with many school activities. I have no doubt that he is a nice guy, just not 100% sure if we feel the same way about each other yet. Maybe it's too early to conclude this, and after reading your posts, I decided to be patient and see what this leads us to.

Thanks again for your advice, and I hope you can help me out again in the future when I am in need of help! smile

Khortnii

ps. OH I forgot to ask. A couple of weeks after we started to go on dates, his relationship status, which used to be 'Single', disappeared on Facebook. (aka. it used to say ___ is Single, but now it doesn't say anything like that. Neither does it say that he's in a relationship.)
Could it possibly mean anything?

To other people: Please feel free to keep posting your opinion about this, the more input, the merrier!

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Perhaps he doesn't feel single, but thinks that it is a bit presumptuous to say that he isn't smile

Take care smile

MW1 Offline
Companion
Companion
changing FB status (at least from what I've heard and seen) is a pretty big deal because then all your "friends" know about it and then you can be linked into his profile. Reason I say this is because one time one of my friends accidentally removed her link and relationship status to her boyfriend and everyone wrote to her saying "oh no!! What happened?!?"

Totally agree with just waiting it out and going along with it - I don't think when my husband and I first started dating (I was 17 and he was 19) that we ever actually said we were boyfriend/girlfriend. I just remember us talking before we both left for college and we said that we wanted to stay together and not pursue relationships with other people. At that time though there was no real "Facebook" or "MySpace" where you told everyone you were in a relationship. People just assumed after he came to visit me and we didn't try dating anyone else that we were an "item."

Keep us posted on how it's going and Good Luck!

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: MW1
... I don't think when my husband and I first started dating ... that we ever actually said we were boyfriend/girlfriend.... People just assumed ..that we were an "item."...

Same here ~ and we were similar ages smile

K
OP Offline
K
Hi all, I am back with some more questions!

Since that date, we were both really busy with our school related stuff that we couldn't see each other for more than a week. He was also sick for a couple of days. On Friday, though, we went to a concert of one of his favorite bands and had a dinner together, which was awesome! I think it made up for what we had missed last week.

At the end of our last date, he invited me once again for a dinner at his place on Sunday (today). I told him that I should spend the weekend studying for my last midterm but after that, I'd be free for a while. He told me to let him know later if I still wanted to hang out.
I called him today telling him that I couldn't come over because of studying. He didn't sound stoked from the beginning of the conversation, so I am not sure if it's because of me declining his invitation or if he had some other things that is worrying him.

The thing that's bugging me right now is the fact that it seems like I am always the one who calls up/texts him while we are not with each other. I am not sure if he's one of those people who doesn't like having phone with them all the time or not, but I feel like he would call me or at least text me once a day or even once in two days if he was really into me. Last week, I tried to see if he'd call back on his own by not contacting him for a few days, but I gave up and texted him first instead.
Also, in person and on the phone, we get these awkward silences that I don't know how to overcome. I don't mean to be talking to him every second I am with him, but I find it rather awkward when it happens.

I am confused once again! He's really sweet when we're together in person, we hold hands, he sometimes hugs me from behind, he had his hand on one of my legs during the concert, we played with each other's hands...

Is it just that guys don't like calling/texting as much as girls do? I don't expect him to call me everyday, (although it'd be super nice if he did) but how can he go days without talking to me when I think about him almost literally every minute?
How should I make up for declining his invitation to his place? Would it be weird to call him up right now and tell him that I really wanted to go and feel really sorry about it?

Also: Will it weird him out if I tell him about my feelings? As mentioned earlier, I think about him everyday, every minute, he's really growing on me. It's been about a month since our first date. If it's okay to tell him, how should I go about it? in person?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Khortnii

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
It's difficult to know what is going on in someone else's mind.
He may be wondering if you really like him amd mithering over why you didn't want to see him on Sunday.
Maybe you need to have a good chat together. smile

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site