Angela, if this means so much to you, and he is not even willing to discuss it, then maybe you both need to have a think and a talk about your relationship.

Is he always going to dismiss what is important to you? You have no doubts about him loving you, and wanting to marry you, and live with you for ever ~ but will everything have to be on his terms?

Why does he quarrel about it?
Why is he so set against it?

I can understand the concern about cost.
Weddings do tend to be very expensive, and I think that a lot of men are not too bothered about them ~ and would rather save the money for something else.

But, as others have pointed out, it is possible to have a lovely white wedding, in church, without it costing a fortune.

You can buy an inexpensive dress ~ they do exist ~ in sales, or second hand, or one that is suitable but not actually a wedding dress. You could even borrow some things.

I am sure that the church fees could be reduced, by not having a choir, or decorations, etc.

You could have a party at home, or in a church hall, instead of a lavish reception. You and your friends and relations could do your own catering or ~ as my friend did ~ you could ask people to bring a dish along and gave a pot luck supper.

There are so many options. I think that it is unfair for him to dismiss this out of hand ~ unless, of course, there is some special reason that you haven't mentioned.
Is there??

Is it possible that he thinks that you are more eager to walk down the aisle in your wedding dress than you are to be married to him?
In other words, does he think that the wedding is more important to you than the marriage ~ and him!?

I don't want to stir things up for you, but you are obviously already upset and concerned about this, so it really needs to be sorted out between the two of you.

Marriage has to be a compromise ~ with give and take. You both have to be able to discuss ~ even if you only agree to disagree.

If you don't sort this out, soon, then one of you ~ or both of you ~ will start married life annoyed and upset. That is not a good idea.

Good luck! smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.