RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SDG Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I stumbled on a blog on myspace earlier that read about giving people "meaningful" gifts for the holidays, birthdays, or any occasion.

This gift is adopting an animal or tree to needy communities around the world.

At first I didn't really think much of it, just that the idea to me sounded like either a way to try to get someone to really like you or think of you otherwise. Also, that some people may be materialistic, and you never really know until you know. But as I thought a little more, it sounded like a really neat thing to do. Something out of the ordinary.

I don't know if I would ever donate for an animal though, as much as I would want to, sometimes the fear of coming off as either cheap or clingy lingers.

But, what do the rest of you think?

--- My mother... she said. "Heaven's on one shoulder, but baby... Hell is on the other." ---
S
SDG Offline OP
OP Offline
S

--- My mother... she said. "Heaven's on one shoulder, but baby... Hell is on the other." ---
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I'm not sure about this.

I think, from experience, that some people might feel that if you want to donate to charity, then that is a great idea, but to do it publicly, in someone else's name, on their behalf, may seem a bit odd.

I think that some people might even find it insulting ~ assuming that they wouldn't donate on their own behalf, so someone has to do it for them.

On the other hand, I also think that some people would feel very happy to be told that they were the adoptive Mum of one of those cute otters, or some penguins, perhaps.

I think that it would depend upon the person to whom the gift was being given. smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
S
SDG Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yeah I would have to agree. I think the thought itself counts, but it does seem odd. Not that I have anyone to give said gift to (in the romantic/girlfriend sense at least.)

However, I felt that my little niece (she's more like my sister) would like a gift like this more. Not to mention, she can claim it on a college application under extra-curricular.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site