Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93023 02/14/07 10:32 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I'm going to see 'Music & Lyrics' in a couple of days, so had a look at the 'Christianity Today' review (I was surprised that they did such a thing, actually.) This is from the article: [i]'it is the romantic elements of the movie that are its weakest link. Grant and Barrymore are completely believable as a creative team, but the romantic development seems arbitrary—or, more accurately, obligatory. .. 'The script seems to rely on the assumption that if you put two likable people in a room together for long enough, love will ensue. Such a premise is not offensive; it's just not particularly convincing.'[/i] What do you think? [i]'if you put two likable [[i]or 'likeable' as I might spell it[/i]] people in a room together for long enough', will love ensue?[/i] http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/reviews/2007/musicandlyrics.html Here's the IMDB page: http://imdb.com/title/tt0758766/

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
#93024 02/14/07 11:43 PM
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
The question is akin to that of a couple stranded/trapped on an island with no forseeable hope of rescue.

It seems to me, that with no choice about the person available for interpersonal dialogue, the results could range from love through hate. Desire for mutual amicability rather than hostility would logically call for attempts at courtesy and compromise.

Nonetheless, love would remain only a possibility, I would think.

Of course, if one thinks of love as an action (verb rather than noun), then perhaps the "feeling" of love could result. Seems to me that even then, however, the ultimate "success" would depend on a mutual effort.

Marge is the love of my life.
#93025 02/17/07 06:29 PM
V
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
Well - 2 likeable people might not equate to those 2 people forming a special bond or connection - platonic or romantic. We each have our own preferences about who we choose as friends as well as partners. Actually, it's not even a choice most of the time - it's just chemistry.

But - if you do find yourself with somebody of your sexual orientation - and you find chemistry as a friend, does that mean that given enough time you will find enough chemistry as a partner?
In other words, can you remain platonic indefinitely if you feel a connection? I say usually not.

#93026 02/17/07 11:14 PM
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
I think you're quite right, Victor. Unfortunately, sometimes you might wish you could step back to where you were, but find yourself unable to regain the platonic level.

Marge is the love of my life.
#93027 02/18/07 04:05 AM
V
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl:
Unfortunately, sometimes you might wish you could step back to where you were, but find yourself unable to regain the platonic level.
How true, how true! That is called "Live and learn!"

PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I never did get to see 'Music & Lyrics' ~ but I'm going to transfer this thread to the 'Romance' section.

Last edited by PDM; 03/24/07 07:16 PM.

PDM #163886 03/27/07 05:23 PM
Soulmate
Soulmate
Well, the way I would put the answer would be "Well, DUH!"

I'm serious, two likable people, seeing each other every day, eventually, you begin to see good things in the other person, and eventually, start to think that a romantic connection could happen.

That's how relationships begin afterall, you first become friends, then lovers.

The thing that prevents such things, or you hope would prevent such things, is when the two people are ALREADY involved with someone else.

It makes one wonder about the life of that reviewer. Are they in a disfunctional relationship where one person is an unlikable character? Has that person never had a friendship with a person prior to falling in-love? Have they never fell in-love at all?

I am a likable person, and so is my husband. Had we met because we had a project to do together, I could see myself becoming friends with him in that setting, and then falling in-love, in time. Because, afterall, we met, became friends, and fell in-love.

1EleanorRigby

PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Any more thoughts on this?

PDM #288577 05/06/08 11:22 PM
Regular
Regular
I disagree with it. I think we love other people for who they are not their geological location. We appreciate them because we share similar values, so if you would put two people with opposite values (or opposing ones) they would not unite.
Also I think personality type is important, I'm reading a book (the relationship cure or something like that) and if the person tends to have a personality of ignoring or turning against and conflicting with the other person, it won't work out.
Lastly love is a choice and "love will ensue" seems more like a universal or not a choice:(

Dagny #288860 05/07/08 01:35 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
It does often happen though ~ I've read about it happening in the police force where a male and a female officer are working closely together for long periods.

Last edited by PDM; 05/07/08 01:42 PM.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site