RomanceClass.com
Posted By: Dagny Too fast, too soon? - 03/27/08 11:37 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. ^^
Anyways, I am in a newish relationship, and its my firs serious relationship. I've only known him for a few months, yet he wants to marry me...
is it too soon to consider this? Its not like we are getting married tomorrow, but if it happens it will probably be at least a few years, but...I'm worried the relationship is being rushed and I am investing emotions in a relationship that is going too fast. Should I be worried or just relax, enjoy and get to know him while engaged...?
Thanks
Posted By: PDM Re: Too fast, too soon? - 03/28/08 09:34 AM
Hi Dagny & welcome! smile

A lot depends on the people and the situation ~ and their ages, I think, too.

My parents had a whirlwind courtship ~ engaged within only a few weeks of meeting each other, married about a year later. They were looking forward to their golden wedding anniversary, only a few years off, when my Dad died, quite unexpectedly.
When they met, they just knew. They were in their early 20s when they met. When I met my husband, I just knew, too. We were in our late teens.

If you are feeling unsure and rushed, then that is probably because you are unsure and you are being rushed.

You should be relaxed, but you shouldn't feel that the relationship is moving faster than you would wish.

If I were you I think that I'd say that maybe, a little way down the line, I might feel ready for an engagement, but, for now, I'd really just like to relax and get to know each other better, first.

Those are my thoughts, but, ultimately, this has to be your choice; your decision.

Good luck! smile
Posted By: Dagny Re: Too fast, too soon? - 03/28/08 04:01 PM
Thanks for replying! Alot of our relationship is fast and sometimes we try to slow things down. We are in our early 20's too (in college) so in reality we won't be marrying for a few years.
I'm not having doubts exactly, I love him and I love his personality. I know he treats everyone kindly and if we got married I don't worry that he would be a terrible husband.
However I just started wondering if there was a normal time when you should consider engagement and if we are going too fast. I also have been reading up on dating, and while I think I'm in the stage of a more mature love, I worry where he is...if he is thinking realistically like me or still just infatuated...so I worry if he loves the real me or the me that he thinks I am (and I might not be). Those are basically my doubts...do I deserve an incredibly awesome husband or not?
After reading more and searching on google, I think I feel a little more comfortable, and your reply helped too. I suppose it will just be a long engagement and will have those years to get to know each other better...
© RomanceClass Forum