Next Thread
Print Thread
#274218 03/27/08 11:37 PM
Dagny Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. ^^
Anyways, I am in a newish relationship, and its my firs serious relationship. I've only known him for a few months, yet he wants to marry me...
is it too soon to consider this? Its not like we are getting married tomorrow, but if it happens it will probably be at least a few years, but...I'm worried the relationship is being rushed and I am investing emotions in a relationship that is going too fast. Should I be worried or just relax, enjoy and get to know him while engaged...?
Thanks

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hi Dagny & welcome! smile

A lot depends on the people and the situation ~ and their ages, I think, too.

My parents had a whirlwind courtship ~ engaged within only a few weeks of meeting each other, married about a year later. They were looking forward to their golden wedding anniversary, only a few years off, when my Dad died, quite unexpectedly.
When they met, they just knew. They were in their early 20s when they met. When I met my husband, I just knew, too. We were in our late teens.

If you are feeling unsure and rushed, then that is probably because you are unsure and you are being rushed.

You should be relaxed, but you shouldn't feel that the relationship is moving faster than you would wish.

If I were you I think that I'd say that maybe, a little way down the line, I might feel ready for an engagement, but, for now, I'd really just like to relax and get to know each other better, first.

Those are my thoughts, but, ultimately, this has to be your choice; your decision.

Good luck! smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #274554 03/28/08 04:01 PM
Dagny Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Thanks for replying! Alot of our relationship is fast and sometimes we try to slow things down. We are in our early 20's too (in college) so in reality we won't be marrying for a few years.
I'm not having doubts exactly, I love him and I love his personality. I know he treats everyone kindly and if we got married I don't worry that he would be a terrible husband.
However I just started wondering if there was a normal time when you should consider engagement and if we are going too fast. I also have been reading up on dating, and while I think I'm in the stage of a more mature love, I worry where he is...if he is thinking realistically like me or still just infatuated...so I worry if he loves the real me or the me that he thinks I am (and I might not be). Those are basically my doubts...do I deserve an incredibly awesome husband or not?
After reading more and searching on google, I think I feel a little more comfortable, and your reply helped too. I suppose it will just be a long engagement and will have those years to get to know each other better...

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site