Gay marriages are being legalised in various countries, but with different responses, and I think it might be worth us discussing the matter, here.

However, this subject is bound to cause some peoples' emotions to run high, so, if you would like to comment on it, please try to keep your posts logical, and ensure that they are not offensive.

Thank you.

A BBC site recived these comments, among others:

"Marriage and religion are not the same thing. Marriage is a legal contract. Saying "I do" in church does not make a marriage binding - you have to sign a register. The church hijacked marriage hundreds of years ago. People marry in church to have a religious service to satisfy their beliefs. Others do it in a registry office. As for what is "right" and "wrong" according to the bible - it also says divorce is wrong, adultery, eating certain foods at certain times (Lent is a prime example), that you should sacrifice livestock when your wife gets pregnant.... exactly how many people here who are bible-bashing can hold their hands up and say they follow these doctrines? Until you can, you should follow another passage from the bible - something about "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? All I see here are hypocrites." Anon. UK.

"As a marriage is a union of a male and a female person in the sight of God, it is ridiculous to say that a group of lawmakers can 'legalise' or 'ban' what is not theirs to decide. Politicians should focus on clarifying what rights and responsibilities co-habiting couples of any persuasion should be entitled to from the State rather than abusing a religious concept for secular legal and political reasons."
Geoff, Portsmouth, UK

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3895983.stm)

I have found a number of other relevant items, which I will post separately.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.