What you said clicked Jo.
I had wondered if it was too early to become engaged because we were so early on in the relationship. We had quite a few arguments and while we talk alot we only knew each other for a little while. Also I learned about the stages of love and wondered if we were just in the first stage and started talking about the future prematurely, after all in the later stages we could lose interest and go other ways.
I have been opening up to him about how I feel about this more often so that is good. And alot of things that I wondered have been cleared up. Basically I'm not really stressed over the whole engagement thing, I just figured if we were close enough we could last. I just planned to get to know him more, let him know me more and introduce him to my friends/family and so on. Also I know we have been working out the issues of communication as well because I do want my husband to be my best friend (and I know he feels the same). So yes, we've been trying to make the foundation of our relationship stronger (like communication) and other basics in place after agreeing to eventually get married.
And I do also agree that I am not enjoying our time together like I should I guess...perhaps me trying to over analyze and stress about every little possibility (communication, family, potential abuse) makes me feel like our relationship is more of a chore or homework than just spending time together and having fun while letting it come naturally?