Please don't even consider going back. I just got thru watching a program on Oprah about a woman who was abused for 14 years and who's husband made their 13 year old son video tape one of the beatings. He also made the kids call their mom awful names as well. One of the boys was 8 at the time and is now 12 what he told Oprah when she was talking to him and asked him what he would tell someone that was in his moms shoes what he said was GET OUT.
Right now is also probably not the best time to look into jumping into another relationship because what you need to do the most is work on getting your life back together. There has to be ways that you can still get an education others have done it. Go talk to counselors check out and see if their is financial aid that you can get.
NO WOMAN DESERVES TO BE HIT NO MATTER WHAT and if a man hits you he has absolutely no respect for you what so ever and drinking is just an excuss.
If he tells you he loves you that is his way of controlling you.
You need to get over this feeling that you love him and start loving yourself.
I think by rushing into another relationship right now you could end up in the same type of situation your in now thats why I say you have to work on yourself first and learn how you want to be treated. And you need to get an education so you don't have to rely on someone else. I'm not saying you can't talk to guys but as far as dating I would not recommend it for awhile.
Your young you have a life time ahead of you don't make it one of pain and misery.

My name is Connie