This post reminded me of when i worked up the nerve to ask a guy out so i know how hard it is to let yourself be exposed like that. I give you kudos for taking the initiative, no matter how it works out you can never think back on it and say "i wish i had...". Giving it a shot and realizing that it didnt work out (if thats the case) is way better than it getting built up over time as maybe he was "the one that got away" and neither of you gave it a shot.
It seems you did everything right -asked him out & then gave him a second chance to follow up on the offer...way cooler than i could ever do it.
If you want a laugh when i asked the guy out in my college class i was a bit too aggressive and he said yes cause i believe i frightnened the poor boy. The date was a disaster (but i was too clueless to notice right away) and i was mortified when i went in for the kiss & he basically jumped in his jeef and pealed out of my drive. The worst part was that it was still mid semester & he didnt even look at me the rest of the year!
But at least i know he was definitly not the one that "got away" (or sped away in fear). ha ha