I met my husband on an online dating website. Although meeting people thru friends and social gatherings can be considered ideal for vetting weird-os i have to say that most men i met thru those means were top of the line jerks. I felt a bit more in control when I went online, its more anonymous & I can just delete the jerks instead of having them haunt my phone, work, or home. I got a lot of comments when i told people I was on an online dating website but seriously all they ever knew from that was watching "to catch a predator"...lol
I was suprised at how easy it was to find out about someone by just sending messages back & forth. One guy sent me this really sappy introduction message & sent my roommate the exact same message (she tried the website the same as me ...safety in numbers!). Another guy everytime I mentioned something he would respond in such detail it was impressive...till I realized he was just copying/pasting from wikipedia. Online dating can be fun if you can keep your sense of humor...and remember you dont ever have to meet anybody.
I'm hoping soon online dating will loose some of its bad image. Yes there are lots of freaks but just like meeting people thru more traditional means you have to keep your wits about you and not move too fast. My best friend also met her husband thru the same site & my other two friends met theirs thru forums. I also know someone who met the love of their life while playing World of Warcraft lol.
Sorry to go on and on but I am a true believer in people (adults) trying online dating at least once if they are actively looking, I actually went online partly cause i was convinced there were no single men in my area. But i'm glad I did cause there was no way I would of met my hubby thru regular means and he is truly my soulmate.

Last edited by nacho's human; 02/07/09 02:48 AM.