Honest answer is yes - I think many men would never marry a woman if they thought the woman was smarter than they were. It's sort of like women who would never date a man shorter than she is. Same superficial hangup.

As for the supermodel dating the dork - I'll bet its a rich dork. Have you heard of the speed dating service that only allows beautiful women and rich men? Same concept. Apparently when people are really superficial, men are attracted to looks and women are attracted to money. It's a nice commentary on today's society.

Now the good news. YOU DON'T WANT TO MARRY A GUY WHO IS AFRAID OF A WOMAN'S INTELLIGENCE! So while it's true you will rule out a sizeable segment of the male population, you'll be left with the cream of the crop, IMHO. There are men who would ONLY marry a woman who they felt was their intellectual equal (or superior). And there are men who find intelligence and originality not only attractive but a necessity in a relationship. But don't go looking for men in places where you are likely to find the men who are intimidated or turned off by intelligence - i.e. bars and superficial dating scenes. That's why I suggest doing something you like, because chances are high you will meet others (men AND women) who will be interested in you because of who you are and what you are into. Broadening your social circle is a good thing. I just wonder if maybe you have been looking in the wrong places and been disappointed because of that.