Well I did say I do know we're not ready yet. x_x I was really just looking for opinions in a non-personal way, but I guess it still works. =P I had a long enough lecture from my best friend about not being ready, that was enough to shut me down until we are! She has the most gorgeous baby boy I've ever seen, and always says how I'll have a football team someday, but her wisdom when serious was pretty humbling.

I still wonder what qualifies a couple though. As already stated "financially secure" can sometimes be a thing so evasive. No one really knows what it really means, and certainly husbands never think they're there yet! Emotionally ready? Who knows until it happens, some people are never really emotionally stable, it's just in their personality. Should they never have kids? Or the people who go into long educational processes where it can take 7 years to finish their PhD program, should they wait until that's finished?

I mean in the end, most of the time I'd think babies come quite unplanned. You can do everything right and perfect and not "slip up" and one can still come.

Of course the traditional Catholics and other of the major religions would say "if you're not ready to have kids, you're not ready to be married."

I actually was flamed by some crazy Catholic person about that. He seriously believes the only purpose for sex and marriage is children. I was flabbergasted. He thought if I didn't think I was ready for children, then I wasn't ready for marriage. I disagreed, but that was interesting.

EDIT: Addition:

And you know.. then there's the issue of health. My mother had/has Lupus, and when she was my age they didn't really know as much about the disease as they do now. They were convinced children could kill the mother. They were also convinced she wouldn't live past 35. She had me against their advise, then had my brother. They tried to convince her the whole time to abort him, they said he'd certainly die and if not, kill her. Well, he made it out fine, and so did my mother. But then they successfully convinced her to get a hysterectomy. Now of course she regrets it.

I'm not the healthiest of women myself. At this point I'm not sure if I will be better or get worse. But should women be so strongly advised against having children because of that?

Last edited by Niki; 01/03/09 04:59 PM. Reason: Addition