Niki - the husband and I went through a similar thing back in March/April of this year. We went to counseling even though the husband was VERY against it in the beginning. With my insurance, the cost per session was $50. She met first with us both, then with us individually and then every month or couple of weeks together.

When I moved out, I was thrilled and excited too - thinking that I was finally free and I could do whatever I wanted, but ultimately I found that I could be happy without my husband, but I was happier with him and that I wanted to be with him.

Things happen in a marriage - sometimes they can be repaired, sometimes they can't. In my situation, I was able to determine what was truly the issue and I worked through that on my own. My husband and I also worked through our issues together and will continue to work with one another.

I'm so sorry you are going through this right now, I know it can be very difficult and I wish you the very best. I hope what happens in the end is what is meant to be and will make you happiest.

Re the counseling again - I have been going to individual counseling for years - probably going on 4 years now. We got a separate marriage counselor, recommended to me by my individual counselor. I continued to go to individual counseling in addition to the marriage counseling - to me the money spent was worth it because no only am I working on myself, but I was working on my marriage - trying to determine what the root cause was and trying to determine if it could be fixed/helped...

I still continue to go to individual counseling because I find that it helps to talk about things. We have also decided to continue to go to the marriage counseling - once every couple of months just to check in and make sure we're still doing what we said we'd do.

Last edited by MW1; 09/29/10 04:11 PM. Reason: additional information