When you say "we're seeing my best friend's parents" do you mean you and Steve? I think it's good that you'll see them since they want to be there for you. Hopefully that will go along smoothly - you'd be surprised at how open and accepting people can be once you're honest with them. I'm sorry your mother has said those things to you - I wish I could just shake her and tell her to support her daughter even if she might not agree with all your choices as it's not for her to judge.

Hopefully in your meeting you and Steve can start to decide what you'd like to get out of the counseling and you both can start to move forward, either together or separately.

Having Brad come with you to family functions could just complicate things even more despite you wanting to introduce him and him wanting to meet everyone. Might be something you want to think about holding off on until you certain on where you and Steve stand (which could be after one meeting with the counselor or after several - it took my husband and I several meetings to figure things out and several meetings resulted in a few months, meaning Thanksgiving is about a month away and that might not be enough time). I guess you could always just go to Brad's family for the holidays - that might make things a little easier on you.

I do have one question though - if you and Brad consider yourselves an "item" why are you and Steve going to counseling? It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind to move on in separate directions? Just asking.

Good luck on Wednesday - it's nothing to be afraid of, or nervous about - it's supposed to help and hopefully it will!