I'm going to Africa for work. I will not be alone - I will be with at least 2 or 3 people at all times. I understand her concern but her concern has been extreme as of late... it has been clingy, overbearing and too much to handle. It's as though she thinks the umbilical cord has been reattached and she's not willing to let it separate - only difference is I'm a grown woman who has proven herself throughout her life that she is a smart and capable human being who will choose to do the correct, safe and intelligent thing. And the difference between my mother and your mother are that she does this with every child she has (except my brother) regardless of whether or not they are 5 minutes away or a 24 hour trip away. She has taken something that could be viewed as a sweet and thoughtful thing and turned it into an overbearing, overwhelming, obnoxious thing.

Regarding me being the person that everyone calls to "dump" on - It's fine for them to "dump" their thoughts, feelings, concerns, problems on me, but when I need someone to talk to they aren't there - the focus of the conversation always turns to them having it worse and to me it's not worth getting into a "xxxxxx match" over who has it worse at the moment so I just bottle my feelings up and keep them to myself.

Thanks for the last comment though - I might try putting it into words like that to see where it goes... have a feeling it might work for a few days but then it'll pick back up to where I am at this point again... always worth a shot though.

Last edited by PDM; 06/08/10 06:58 AM.